A Detailed View into Physiotherapy and How It Works
Physiotherapy is a form of medical treatment that helps restore normalcy and mobility to people who have been affected by a disease, disability, or injury. This is achieved by creating sessions for manual therapy and educating and advising the patient on coping with their situation.
Physiotherapy in Glen Carbon, IL, teaches patients of all ages how to prevent diseases or subsequent injuries from recurring and the various ways in which they can manage their pain. In other terms, chiropractors in Glen Carbon contribute to patients’ general well-being and functioning by teaching them how to maximize their physical strength while addressing their underlying issues at the same time.
Physiotherapy Treatments Available
- Orthopedic – This form of therapy treats diseases affecting a person’s musculoskeletal system. It also corrects problems associated with muscles, joints, tendons, bones, and ligaments. Through this treatment, skeletal injuries are rectified, and pain levels are alleviated, thus increasing mobility.
- Neurological – Neurological therapy sessions are recommended when a patient suffers from extreme muscle weakness, muscle spasms, loss of body coordination and balance, or loss of body sensation. The treatment aims to restore mobility to body parts whose functions have been paralyzed due to disorders in nervous systems such as spinal cord and brain injuries, Parkinson’s disease, or stroke.
- Cardiopulmonary – Patients struggling with cardiopulmonary disorders such as cardiac arrest or COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) find this treatment helpful. One of the objectives of this treatment is to educate people on the importance of exercising and teach them techniques they can practice to better the quality of the life they are living.
- Geriatric – This type of physiotherapy deals with the treatment of age-related problems like arthritis and osteoporosis. In order to improve the body’s mobility, patients are exercised, but, in some cases, specific body movements are restricted to reduce/avoid pain.
- Pediatric – This form of therapy has specialized in addressing issues experienced by children from their birth due to genetic defects. Taking your child to the best chiropractor near you is the best thing you can do for him/her. The professional will engage the child in various physical exercises to strengthen the affected body parts and improve their movement.
- Vestibular rehabilitation – Vestibular therapy focuses on teaching the body how to become steadier and regain lost balance when there is a problem with the vestibular structures found inside the ear.
Physical Therapy VS Physiotherapy Know the Difference
Physiotherapy is split into three categories: kinesiotherapy, physical therapy, and physiotherapy—both physiotherapy and physical therapy deal with maximizing the body’s material support and function. However, in physical therapy, they will be manual treatment administered to damaged soft tissues like the fascia, ligaments, muscles, and tendons. Myofascial release, mobilization, and manipulation are some of the examples of manual therapy.
Reasons Why This Form of Therapy is Necessary
- It improves the mobility of persons who are experiencing moving, standing, or walking difficulties.
- Eliminates or reduces pain by restoring joint and muscle function through electrical stimulation, taping, or ultrasound.
- It is an alternative to surgery and helps in the recovery of patients who have undergone surgical procedures.
- Aims to improve body balance and coordination, thus promoting safer walking by preventing falls.
- Helps patient recover from a sports injury and also teaches players how to avoid them.
- It restores the ability of stroke patients to move around, thus making them more independent.
Commonly Asked Questions About Physiotherapy
- What conditions does physiotherapy treat? Urinary incontinence, cerebral palsy, COPD, TMJ disorder, vestibular dysfunction, and CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) are some of the problems addressed by physiotherapy.
- Does physio treatment work? The success of physiotherapy will depend on the individual problem one has or the type of injury he/she has sustained, and if it’s curable or not.
- How long is a physio session supposed to last? How long the sessions are will be influenced by how complex the patient’s condition is and how long it will take for the body to heal completely. Nevertheless, most sessions last for 30 to 60 minutes.
- What are its side effects? Body pain and swelling are the most common side effects of physiotherapy.
- How long will it take for the treatment to work? This question has no specific answer because every individual has a different healing rate, and the conditions are not always similar.